25 October, 2010

Choux pastry and very ripe bananas

This Friday dawned in Blackheath, it was crisp and sunny and the Rhododendrons and wildflowers were all in flower so I shunned the kitchen to get outside and enjoy the sun and great outdoors. We headed over to Leura and out on the Mt Hay road to take a walk out to Lockeys Pylon. We had a very pleasant amble out stopping to look at various skinks, geckos and wildflowers along the way and ended up at a cliff edge overlooking the Grose Valley and back towards Blackheath. Around the same time we could also see a thunderstorm coming across from the north east and had to make great tracks back to the car. We had a distant hope to get back to the house to get washing off the line but we were too late. Thunder lightening, hail and a few downpours later we were back at the house and I had a missed provisions to get started on this weekends baking.

When I first got Jacqueline Mallorca's book I was very excited by the chocolate eclair recipe. I knew choux pastry could be made gluten free as I'd tasted a custard puff at the gluten-free bakery in Liechhardt - Healthy Feast. So I thought I'd give it a whirl this weekend at Blackheath. While in town I'd also purchased a oven thermometer as the oven had no proper temperature dial. A bit tricky for cooking and baking, especially when a recipe calls for a hot oven that then needs to be lowered!  And as I found out, even with a temperature gauge, the classic old oven at Blackheath was still a challenge as it has both a top and bottom heating element which made for slightly uneven temperatures. Well at least now I know that in the future to go with one rack and bake in the middle of the oven. This attempt was also my first ever attempt at making choux pastry so I was a little uncertain about dough texture and how much they might rise or puff. Hence instead of 12 even shapes I had three very large puffs and 4 more moderately sized but oddly shaped puffs. Note to self be sure to use FLAT trays as puffs expand and baking tray side will distort shapes.

Having said that maybe I was in a more generous mood about my first attempts at choux pastry and chocolate eclairs. Maybe its the holiday mountains atmosphere!  Anyway once I'd split the puffs, inserted some sugared cream and dipped the tops in dark chocolate that I thought that the finished product didn't look half bad. And after dinner Neil and I were quick to sample one each. Well actually maybe I had two but who's counting? Next time I won't skimp on the cream and might try and find a recipe for chocolate custard that can be teamed with cream as well. Divine! Just as well we went visiting neighbours on Saturday and took them two large samples as a treat too otherwise I could have scoffed the lot. Oops. Note to self better work extra hard in the pool and at the gym. Anyway here's the recipe and keep an eye out for further experimentation with this recipe.

Chocolate Eclairs (The wheat-free kitchen by Jacqueline Mallorca)
makes 12
1/4c brown rice flour
1/4c tapioca starch
1 tsp sugar
3Tbsp (55g) unsalted butter
pinch of salt
2 large eggs
3/4c heavy cream
1/2tsp vanilla essence
3Tbsp icing sugar
60g dark chocolate
2tsp canola oil

1. Preheat the oven to 205. Line 2 large baking sheets
2. Sift flours and sugar together and set aside.
3.  Combine butter, salt and 1/2 c water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, remove from the heat and add the flour mixture all at once. Place the pan over low heat and stir hard with a wooden spoon until mixture dries out a little and forms a ball, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time. The mixture will look lumpy at first but persevere until the past is smooth and just holds its shape, about 2 minutes.
5. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 2 1/2cm tip and pipe out 12, 8cm fingers. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 190C and bake for a further 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
To fill
6. Beat the cream until it starts to stiffen, then add the vanilla and sift in the icing sugar. Continue beating until soft peaks form.
7.Combine the chocolate and canola oil and melt over hot water. Stir to make a smooth mixture.
8. Split the eclairs horizontally and cover the bottom halves with the whipped cream. Dip the rounded side of the tops in the chocolate and place over the cream. Refrigerate until serving time.
Baked: Friday 22nd October 2010


The rest of the weekend was spent checking out junk shops and sewing. Both were in aid of next Friday's Mad Men cocktail party. Neil was searching for vintage records and an outfit. I was searching for glassware and a cake and pie server. I was also attempting to whip a dress using a vintage pattern. I had grand plans for some lovely pink and grey plaid material for a Joanie style wiggle dress but when I looked at the pattern and noted that it had 8 pieces to sew together and match the plaid, including a seam down the centre I thought it might be a bit beyond my very beginner sewing capabilities! Luckily I had a couple of metres of another plain dusky pink corduroy that should work fingers crossed. Anyway I'm still working on that one but should be able to report more next week.

Anyway come Sunday morning it was still raining s we decided to not linger too long and left Blackheath just after 1pm. This meant we got back home at a reasonable hour and get ready for the working week. Oh and of course I could also squeeze in a bit more kitchen time. When we got home I noticed that our fruit bowl was loaded up with very ripe bananas which was just perfect as I'd also been eyeing  off a recipe in the Australian Women's Weekly cookbook for banana bread. Its packed full of bananas, coconut and sunflower, linseed and almond meal and it smells absolutely divine when baking. I say if you've ever got to sell or rent a place just bake a loaf of this bread and you'll have people queuing up to sign up on the dotted line! It also has the added advantage that it is also dairy and egg free so suitable for any of your vegan friends. And if you happen to be doing any heavy exercise like paddling up the Hawkesbury River - go Dee - its also packed full of energy and protein! Well and it tastes pretty good too! And it keeps well in the fridge and can be sliced and toasted too. I think it might be a keeper. I was half tempted to throw in some dark chocolate chocolate chips but I ended up leaving it for another time. However if anyone gives it a go be sure to let me know.  Happy baking.  

Banana Bread (The gluten-free cookbook, by the Australian Women's Weekly)
makes one 11x21cm loaf
2Tbsp desiccated coconut (or shredded)
1 1/2c mashed overripe bananas (approx 3 large bananas)
1 1/4c firmly packed brown sugar (less is OK too!)
1/2c vegetable oil
2tsp baking powder
1tsp mixed spice
2 1/2c desiccated coconut extra (shredded)
1 3/4c linseed, sunflower and almond meal

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease loaf pan and coat base and sides with desiccated coconut, shake out excess.
2. Combine banana, sugar, oil, baking powder and spice in a large bowl, stir in extra coconut and meal. Spread mixture into pan, smooth surface.
3. Bake bread for about 55 minutes. Stand in pan for 10 minutes, turn topside up, onto baking paper covered wire rack to cool.
Note: this bread is good sliced and toasted and can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge.
Baked: Sunday 24th October 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment