11 October, 2010

More biscuits and cake.

Well this week I felt like I was getting back into the swing of things. Friday dawned and I was down at the beach doing a spot of boxing. Then after doing the grocery shopping I was back in the kitchen whipping up a tasty treat to take when visiting friends and their new offspring. Not 100% over the cold and cough but back up and running while also out and about catching up with friends. I decided to remake the coffee, date and walnut cake from a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to see what the taste was like with the proper amount of coffee in the cake and add some coconut to the streusel. I also thought for presentations sake I'd give a round tin a go. The taste testers thought it was good and I thought it looked better. What do you think?

I also managed to squeeze in a spot of sewing as I hemmed up a skirt I'd make the previous weekend out of an old pair of brown cords. Not bad for my first sewing project since high school.

We even went out on Friday night for a wee bit of culture for a art talk and classical music at the Wagner Gallery in Paddington followed by some Japanese in the Junction. Very nice indeed.  However I must admit come Saturday morning I just couldn't sleep in past 6am so went for a swim and did a measly 22 laps and then spent the rest of the day recovering from lack of sleep and energy!

Anyway Sunday arrived and after a lazy morning, a wee bike ride and a couple of friends party to celebrate their anniversary - Congratulations Nick and David - I though I best get into the kitchen to bake this weeks new tasty treat. Now last week I mentioned a recipe from Jacqueline Mallorca's 'Wheat free cook' but I didn't have all the ingredients. Anyway I stocked up on the essential peanut butter and choc-chips when I did the grocery shopping of Friday so I could make the peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. The recipe is easy to make, although I must admit I resorted to my old hand held beater to mix the butter, peanut butter and egg as I couldn't seem to get the butter to cream up by hand with a wooden spoon. Maybe I'm just too lazy? Anyway the final batter looks a bit oily but they cook OK and don't spread too much like some other biscuits. They taste pretty good although I only got to take a couple to work on the bike for a second opinion. Maybe if there is any left I'll take some on Wednesday to Ride 2 Work.
Peanut butter - chocolate chip cookies (by Jacqueline Mallorca in the Wheat-free cook)
makes 20
1/2 stick unsalted butter softened (56g)
3/4c creamy peanut butter
1 large egg
1/2c packed brown sugar
1/4c fine brown rice flour
pinch of salt
1/4tsp baking powder
1/2c dark chocolate chips
1/2c chopped pecans or walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line two large baking trays.
2. Cream butter until smooth, beat in the peanut butter, then the egg. In a separate bowl whisk the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt then add to the butter mixture and stir to blend.
3. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. The dough will be soft and sticky but it can still be handled with spoons or your hands to make medium flat discs on to the prepared trays. Bake until golden and just set, 12-15 minutes. Let stand on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Baked Sunday 10 October 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment