18 July, 2010

Bread

I love the smell of baking bread, its warm yeasty smell. Not to mention its really tasty, fresh from the oven, still a bit warm so your butter melts all by itself. It’s also great with cheese and red wine. Or practical for a travelling packed lunch. Toasted it’s a perfect bed for a sunny side up egg with a side of bacon or just a nice homemade jam on a Sunday morning. Gluten free bread and rice or corn alternatives just don’t cut it. They’re more like cake and crumbly or are hard and crunchy. Our honeymoon was hard with a couple of weeks of corn thin sandwiches every day. At one stage I experimented with Rye and Spelt bread or variations of, even making my own with the ‘no-knead’ technique. It was great fun and tasty too but although these grains were supposedly gentler on the digestive system I still suffered. So it was back to the gluten-free bread and corn thins.


So more recently I thought I might try out some of the gluten-free bread mixes to see if there had been any improvement since I last tried. Now this blog is not about promoting any particular product, but this is one brand name that I will mention as it has changed things considerably for me when dealing with my love for bread. So here it goes ‘Springhill Farm - the real bread mix’ is the go. It’s a mixture of maize starch, potato starch, flaxseed flour, psyllium and pea protein. The mix is made up with yeast, sugar, salt and warm water just like normal bread. And guess what? It even tastes and feels like bread too! Amazing!

I shared this find with a fellow gluten intolerant work colleague and she was suitably impressed and raced off to buy some of the mix as well. Another exciting thing about this mix is that it can also be used to make breads with different grains, fruit, herbs etc as well as pizza bases and pasta. My friend has made spinach and ricotta cannelloni with it with great success. However, I’ve only ventured to make a mixed fruit loaf and a sunflower seed loaf but hopefully I’ll get more adventurous over the next 6 months. One word of warning though, large doses of psyllium might not be for everyone.

The two pictures are from the latest fruit loaf made on Friday which has a about 200g of sultana, apricots and mixed peel. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment